Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Songs

Cocoa at Chocolate on my Cranium did a post about favorite Christmas songs...
As I thought about my favorite Christmas songs, a few came to mind...but then when I started searching, I kept thinking, "Oh, I love that one too."
So just for today, I'm going to say O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. I think this song has a very reverent feel to it, but also a hopeful feel. The origins of the song are unknown but very old. Wikipedia says this about the song:
"Its origins are unclear, it is thought that the antiphons are from at least the 8th Century, but 'Veni, veni Emmanuel' may well be 12th Century in origin.[1][2] The text is based on the biblical prophesy from Isaiah 7:14 that states that God will give Israel a sign that will be called Immanuel (Lit.: God with us). Matthew 1:23 states fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Jesus of Nazareth."

Sally DeFord has her own version of the song which you can listen to here....
http://www.defordmusic.com/ocomeocomeemmanuel.htm

3 comments:

James and Aimee said...

I LOVE Sally Deford! She has such beautiful arrangements.

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

I enjoy playing Sally Deford's music as well. Enya has a pretty version of O Come, O Come, Emmanuel on her new Christmas CD "And Winter Came."

T * R * B said...

I love all christmas songs. Every year Eli starts playing Christmas tunes at the house as well. Yeah Christmas.