Friday, October 9, 2009

Fall Quilt Festival

Amy at Park City Girl is hosting a Fall Quilt Festival. Apparently she did one in the spring as well. There are lots of give-a-ways so I thought I'd repost my favorite quilt so far.



This is a wall quilt that I finished last year. I call it Garden At My Window. I machine pieced it and then quilted it by hand. I got the idea from a book called Watercolor Quilts by Pat Maixner Margaret and Donna Slusser. It was the first sewing book that I ever bought, and I even paid full price for it, which if you know me, you know how remarkable that really is. I love watercolor quilts. It's kind of like painting with fabrics. The little squares are each two inches. If you could see up close you could see how uneven my seams are, but I decided once a while back that my quilts are just imperfect on purpose. No matter how hard I try to be perfect at it, I end up having to fudge them here or there. But I still like my quilts imperfections and all! I also like to embroider dove outlines on my watercolor quilts here and there. They just seem to belong there to me. I love flowers and windows and light that comes in them. This quilt combines those elements for me.

23 comments:

T * R * B said...

That is beautiful. You are very talented.

Bre said...

It's really beautiful! The book that inspired it was totally worth the full price :)

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE it! It's sew beautiful! I'm just learning about more and more of your wonderful talents every day!

heather said...

WOW!! You have a serious talent! Its gorgeous!

My Ice Cream Diary said...

This is stunning and so very artful.

Zonnah said...

This is amazing!

Heather said...

A beautiful quilt--love all the flowers and the subtle shades.

Julie Bagamary said...

Wow -very nice.

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful Quilt. Inspirational!

Thanks for participating in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Deborah said...

beautiful quilt

Rene' said...

I love it. You did a wonderful job!! I have that book too (for years now) and have been collecting little squares, but have yet to make a watercolor quilt. It is on my ever growing things to do (quilt) list. Thanks for sharing.

MARIKA said...

Very beautiful quilt !!

Marika

Lonci said...

Very impressive,beautiful quilt:)

the momma said...

I love this ~ it may just be my favorite from the quilt festival!

Sara said...

This is just lovely! I've always wanted to try a watercolor but am intimidated by the concept. I keep checking the LQS to see if they offer a class. So far, no luck. Well done!!!

...dotty... said...

That's a beautiful quilt !

And if there was ever a place where not matching seams was okay, it's definitely on a quilt where the fabrics are all supposed to blend into a 'whole', anyway !

(as if it WASN'T okay, huh?)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Such a beautiful quilt!

Leslie said...

that is amazing....thanks for sharing

Me aka Supermom said...

Love this floral quilt!
THanks for sharing,
Margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

Beautiful! I've often admired watercolour quilts too but haven't tried it yet.

sewpam63 said...

This is beautiful! : ) 'Perfect' seams are machine made and without soul. Thank you for sharing your talent!

Anonymous said...

Nice story you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that theme. The only thing it would also be great to see here is some pictures of some gizmos.

Jeff Karver
jammer cellphone

Anonymous said...

Wow, certainly great article. Where can I find that RSS?

Natasha Watcerson
rf detection