Friday, December 12, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Okay, so I know it's not Thursday, but I like the name, and as I'm still beginning in my blogging I hear by give myself the privilege of not being perfect at it.
In the year 2000 I started writing five things I was thankful for in my journal every day. I got the idea from Oprah. I happened to see one of her shows where she was talking about Gratitude Journals and how she had done it, and how wonderful it was. I remember her specifically saying with tears in her eyes, "It will change your life." I've been a journal keeper since I was very young, and I liked the idea, so I gave it a go. Even now, eight years later, I still start all my journal entries with, "Today I am grateful..." I don't write every single day anymore, but I still write regularly. It has been a blessing to me in a great many ways. Taking Oprah's challenge that year did change my life. It helped me to look for the little miracles in my life and the simple joys. Sometimes when I was having a bad day, I would pull out my journal and read over things that I had been grateful for and it gave me hope. It also helped me strengthen my relationship with my Father in Heaven as I began to recognize more and more of his tender mercies in my life. It helped me realize the power of gratitude. I really believe that journals are a gift that we give ourselves.
So, I'm going to share some things that I'm grateful for this week on this my first Thankful Thursday on Friday.

Today I am grateful...
- for rays of sunshine that come in my windows
- for my children and moments I share with them every day
- for Redwood who is my perpetual joy boy
- for Ash who inspires me to be my best self
- for Hickory who helps me remember to love first
- for Apple who loves freely and completely and is my everyday miracle
- for my husband who wanted his name to be Persimmon, but I think I'm going to call him Oak. He says if I knew anything about Persimmon trees, I would see how manly they were. He has informed me that the wood is very hard and used to be used to make golf club heads - very important. So, the debate continues...
- for people who have inspired me throughout my life
- for sisters dear to my heart
- for happy tears

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for being thankful and reminding us to be thankful too! Great timing too!