Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Drawing


I have always loved to draw. It's one of those dreams I tucked away while in pursuit of and living through other life happenings. Early last year I checked out some drawing books from the library by Lee Hammond. I really liked her style, and for the first time in well over ten years I picked up my art pencils and I started to draw. This was my first squirrel. My kids were very impressed, and even I thought to myself, "I can still draw." So I did a few more animals, and then I tried a portrait. I've always wanted to draw portraits, and I had an old photograph of my Grandmother holding my Mother shortly after she was born, which I really loved and thought would lend itself to my medium. I worked on it off and on for about a month, until I was happy with it.


Last month I finished one of my little Apple. I drew it from a photograph I took of her last summer.

I'm practicing, and I can see improvement already. I don't get to draw everyday, but I'm hoping I'll get a little faster at it, because there are many faces I'd like to draw. I don't think I could finish one and be happy with it in less than a week, because even after I'm finished I like to put it up and look at it for a couple days to make sure it doesn't have any areas that still need tweaking. I really do want to practice more though, and I keep seeing random people who I'd like to try to draw. I feel weird walking up to total strangers, and asking if I can take their picture so that I can draw their portrait. Yet the desire within me is almost overwhelming sometimes, until I realize I forgot my camera. Would that freak you out?? Or would you take it as a compliment?? I also wonder if I would offend everyone else present by picking someone out. Ah, my mental debates...
Another problem with random pictures is that you can't always pick the lighting, or in my beginnings I don't always know until I've taken 15 or more pictures, which angle or direction is most complimentary to any given face. I REALLY WANT PRACTICE.
When I draw, I look for the slightest subtleties in shade and angle, and I find myself analysing peoples faces all the time. SO, if you catch me staring at you, I'm just thinking about your face and what it would be like to draw. I'm also finding that I can see beauty in more and more faces.
Hows this for an opening...
"Hi, I was just staring at you, and noticed how beautiful your face is. Would you mind if I took some pictures of you so that I could maybe draw your portrait?"

I need help.

5 comments:

T * R * B said...

If you asked me that I would cry but if some prevy guy in the park asked me I would mase him. :) You are amazing you should take an art class at TCC they dont cost much and you deserve it. When you are famous and you have an art gallery and sell your paintings for thousands of dollars don't forget me. :)

Bre said...

You are very talented! Its really hard to get portraits to really keep the persons characteristics. Its hard to play with the shading this way but the easiest way for me to practice a face is to use like lipliner or something on a mirror so you can almost trace your reflection. I love your drawings and would love to see more!

Jen said...

I would say, family & friends, YES you can say that to anyone at anytime. Strangers, it might be a little freaky. But I would love it if you would say that to people and then report back how it goes. I'm sure you'd figure out the people who'd be more understanding & not creeped out. I love the portrait of Apple. Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing them.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momza said...

Beautiful. Absolutely.