Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Sheperdess

This is a painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau painted in 1889. I first saw it in the Philbrook Museum of Art when I was in my teens. My young women's leader at the time knew how much I liked it, and for my birthday, gave me a large poster of the painting. I love to think of Jesus as the Good Shepard, and I love to think that we, in our own places, with our own families or circles of friends, are helping to tend the flock for the Savior. We are all part of the flock of our Father's fold, but we are also keepers of the flock. I also love this painting because the girl in the painting looks so much like my sister, who is dear to me.

4 comments:

Inga said...

Ahhh, aren't you sweet! The feeling is totally mutual. Love ya!!

heather said...

I've never seen this before, but I really like it!

Lindsay said...

That is a beautiful picture. I can see why you like it so much.

athena said...

this image reminded me of a millet painting.