Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Word of the Year

I read about the "One Word Movement" recently. I think it's a cool idea, and I wanted to remember it so I'm making this post. Ali Edwards was the instigator, I think. She posted these thoughts in her newsletter for Jan 2007 which you can link to here... http://www.lifeartmedia.com/newsletter11.html

"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow...

"Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself?

"It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.

"One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities."

It has been interesting to read over some of the words that different people have chosen for themselves and why. I'm challenging all my children to pick a word for themselves this year. Next week I'm going to come up with some kind of project so we can put our words up in the house to remember them through out the year. At Ali's web page she shows some necklaces and other things to keep your word in mind.

After much thought I think I've decided my word for the year will be

Believe
It's a word that has been in my thoughts a lot the last month or so, and I feel like I need it this year. A couple weeks ago, I was having a discouraging couple of days, and I looked over and saw my little Christmas bag that said, "Believe" sitting next to my sewing machine. Believing can takes work, and it's hard sometimes, but it's also very good.
I want to believe. I need to believe. I do believe.

Other words that fluttered through my thoughts were: Be, Inspire, Love, Draw, Hope, Reach.
Persimmon chose Seek. There are so many good words out there! Go ahead pick one for yourself.

1 comment:

heather said...

I seriously LOVE this idea and you are the second person I've seen do this this year. I might find a word for myself this year.