Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wordfull Wednesday: Affection for Others

I don't really have time to post today, but I really like blogging with a purpose. And Wordfull Wednesday's are a great opportunity to do so. I shared my testimony at church on Sunday, my thoughts went along with the topic this week, so I thought I'd expound my thoughts here.

Last weekend I had the wondrous privilege of babysitting my newest niece. She's still very tiny, not quite 8 pounds. It was nourishing to my soul just to hold her and listen to her tiny breaths. When my hubby, Simmon, came home, I was cooking in the kitchen while she slept nearby in a bassinet. Simmon walked into the kitchen, stopped abruptly, and then said, "Whoa...baby presence." Then he remarked about how just her presence changed the whole feel of the room. I smiled knowingly and whispered, "Kind of makes you feel reverent." He laughed in agreement. I can not help but feel how precious she is when she is near.

On Sunday, I was sitting in church and my thoughts reflected back to that moment and the whole evening of having my niece there with us. I could not hold back the tidal wave that was my tears. I thought about how easy it was to see and feel the worth of a soul when you hold a small infant in your arms. I felt the same awe and wonder with each of my own children. My thoughts then wandered as I contemplated those deep feelings. I wondered, "What happens to those feelings as people grow into children, adults and become old people?" Then this thought came into my mind... how would it be... if we could feel those deep feelings of wonder and reverence by just being in the presence of one another, of friends, neighbors, people at church, random people at the grocery store... ? We are all children of God, and as such, each and every person in this world is a miraculous and wondrous being. Do we recognize what an awesome thing that is? Sometimes I look at pictures of beautiful places in the world and I feel reverenced by the beauty of God's handiwork. We, each of us, are also God's handiwork. May we learn to feel as God feels toward us. At times in my life when I have sought for charity, the pure love of Christ, I have felt greater love toward everyone around me.

May we feel love.

Doc. and Cov. 18:10 : "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;"

8 comments:

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

Beautiful and profound words! The perspective in which we view people should be through lenses of love.

Aimee said...

That is very close to our FHE lesson we had on Monday. We love people because they are of great worth. They all are children of our Heavenly Father! Thank you for saying it so beautifully.

kjha said...

It's true those feeling kind of get buried as time goes on...but that's just so they can be remembered with fondness and give us the courage to not strangle our children when they try our patience! :) Your post was beautiful!

Joy For Your Journey said...

I told my husband I was off to take a nap as I have been up since 4 and have a long night ahead of me, but before I did so, I decided to read one blog I haven't read before so . . . here I am. I loved what you wrote. I can relate well to the new baby feelings. My oldest daughter just gave birth to our only grandchild. What a sense of wonder and awe that was, and what a good reminder of the value of human life. Thanks for your words, and your thoughts. It will help me remember to view everyone with that same degree of reverence.

Esther said...

oh my, I think my uterus just jumped :D
That little presence that brings perspective...thank you.

Jamie Jane said...

"Baby presence" really is worth hanging on to. I love how the lessons of motherhood enrich and better my whole self!

Momza said...

I so appreciate your post today.
Thanks for sharing! And thx too for stopping by my lil blog too!

Bre said...

I'm glad she had such a loving aunt to take care of her :)