Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wordfull Wednesday: Love for Self

This weeks Wordfull Wednesday topic is Love for Self......
For me, loving ourselves is really about learning to appreciate ourselves, and recognizing who we really are. One thing I tell myself frequently is, "I'll be grateful to myself later for doing this now." When I look at the laundry pile or the dirty dishes in and around the sink, I say, "If I just do it now, I'll be grateful tomorrow." And I am. I'm grateful when I don't procrastinate, even when I might rather completely avoid whatever task lies before me.
I did a post a little while ago called Love Yourself. This is what I said that day:

Someone once said, "Those who deserve love the least, need it the most."

That little thought came into my head this morning as I was introspecting. If we look to the example Jesus Christ set for us we can see how he applied this principle. He loved without boundaries. He showed us how to love each other with open hearts, with forgiveness, with compassion, and with mercy. It is easy to see how we can apply the statement outwardly of ourselves. But we could also apply the statement inwardly. At times I sometimes feel unworthy of love, but if I let myself, I can see that those are the times that I need love the most. In my guilt laden moments I tend to push love away. If we keep working at it, I think we can love not only others, but also ourselves the way Christ intended, with more open hearts, more forgiveness, more compassion, and more mercy.

I also love this quote that I shared before here.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us."
--Marianne Williamson

I have found myself pondering that question often of late, "Who am I not to be?" I struggle with "shining." In part, that is one reason I started blogging, because I could share in a sort of safe way, and I wouldn't have to feel like I was in a spot light. I don't like to pretend that I'm good at anything. There are many things I like to do and enjoy, but I wouldn't presume to be great at anything. When I was in my teens, I really wanted to be great at something. There was no time or money for most of my desires, but I felt driven to succeed and accomplish. I realized then one day, after a lesson on talents - that left me feeling discouraged, that even though I wasn't super talented or great at any one thing there were many things that I could do well and that perhaps that was a talent in itself. I felt comforted in that thought. Part of loving ourselves is learning to accept ourselves and not comparing ourselves with others. I believe that we should only compare ourselves with ourselves in our progress, and try to find ways to rejoice in and accept one another's differences. I am a different mother than my sisters, and sister-in-law's and other women in the world, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad mother or they are bad mothers, because we mother in our own ways, and are women in our own ways. God knows us, and put us where we are with purpose. Let us be our best selves.

10 comments:

Momza said...

A very lovely post, indeed. And I for one, appreciate your talents as I've seen them shared here in this "blogging world".

Well done.

T * R * B said...

Amen. We are different but we are great!

My Ice Cream Diary said...

Thank you so much for the fantasric quotes.

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

I particularly like the last paragraph. That's what I'm trying to teach my daughters - not to compare themselves to one another but only see the progress each has made.

kjha said...

I love that quote about being great...I think I need that on a wall somewhere.

Esther said...

Love that quote...so true it's scary.:) I also like the thought of getting things done as a way of creating the time and quality of time we all deserve. You put it all together so well...thanks for shining in the blogging world.

Aimee said...

I started my own blog for very similar reasons. It does feel like a safe place to share and express myself. Thanks for sharing your talents!

Jamie said...

Such good thoughts! I always need to remind myself not to compare with other people. And sure! You can use my "snickerdoodle love drop" picture for drawing. I would love a copy of it!

Sea Star said...

I love the quote that says that what we are really afraid of is shining. I think that is so true. We don't want to let our light shine too brightly because then we wouldn't be humble or something. It is a good reminder to let our true selves shine.

heather said...

Excellent thoughts. If only we could truly remember this in every action of every day. :)