Saturday, March 7, 2009

Recent Reads

Shannon Hale is so swell! I recently read the companion books to The Goose Girl (a special favorite for me). They are titled Enna Burning and River Secrets. I really enjoyed this series, but the first book was my favorite. The second and third books are written from the perspective of other characters in the books, but each book continues to enchant in their respective stories. I would read this series again. I'm excited for the recent reads I've found with main characters that are female. I think Apple will enjoy these books some day. I also read The Book of A Thousand Days, also by Shannon Hale. I really liked this story too. It wasn't what I expected, but still very good. It's about a girl of low caste who becomes a maid to a princess who is banished to a tower for seven years for refusing to marry the terrible man her father wished. It has a happy ending, and the main character is a wonderful example of meekness, humility and goodness.

I also loved a book by Jessica Day George called Dragon Slippers. It was really good, and from a girls perspective. The main character, Creel, is sent, along with her brother, to live with her Aunt's family after her parents die. But her Aunt and Uncle are poor and already have many children. Her Aunt get's the idea to send Creel up to the dragon cave to be captured so that she will have to be rescued by the town knight who will then decide to marry her. However, things work out quite differently. I would read this again, and definitely with Apple when she's older.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I also think Shannon Hale is swell! I have not read River Secrets yet...someday I will. But I do love the Goose Girl and everything else I've read by Shannon Hale. Have you read Austenland? That is my most recent Hale read and I did enjoy it. Not quite as much as Goose Girl, but it was fun to read.

I have never heard of Dragon Slippers. I will have to check that one out. Thank you!