Monday, March 9, 2009

Words of Life

Romans 15:4-5 and 13
"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
"Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus;
". . .the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost."

What these verses say to me is that the scriptures were written for us . . . for our learning, to grant us hope, and peace in believing. In my efforts of rejuvenate myself, I've been trying to dedicate more time to studying the scriptures. Nothing I have ever done in my life has brought be more comfort, more peace, more joy or more hope than studying the words of God on a daily basis. It is His word that heals my heart, that sustains and strengthens my soul, grants me courage and helps me to feel closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Persimmon said...

Indeed all of scripture and the organization of the church itself is to lead us to be more like Christ and to feel those same feelings of uplift and healing.

From Ephesians 4:

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man (or woman!), unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

and from 2 Timothy 3:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.