Friday, April 24, 2009

Recent Reads

I haven't been a frequent poster lately, but alas, I have still read.

I read this series by Obert Skye...
Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo
Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret
Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Leven Thumps and the Eyes of Want
Ash totally loved this series. It's a favorite for him. I have to admit that for whatever reason I couldn't quite give myself to the story as I read the first book. It was almost too far fetched for me. I'm not sure why, when I have no trouble believing in magic, dragons, and other fantastical things, but Foo was pushing it a tad for me. I really did enjoy the series though, and look forward to the next book. I'd read them again, and give them five stars. They were engaging and at time thought provoking.

I continued the Fablehaven stories by Brandon Mull...
Fablehaven Rise of the Evening Star
Fablehaven Grip of the Shadow Plague
I really liked these books. The first one of the series I gave my two sense about already here. These stories are fast paced and very gripping, with intensity not unlike Harry Potter books. Ash loved these as well. These are definitely five star stories.

Most recently Ash and I have read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians stories by Rick Riordan including...
The Lightening Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titans Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth
These books are a sure thrill ride -- fast paced, gripping, wise-cracking, and fun. Ash read each book in less than 24 hours. I wasn't that fast, but I thoroughly enjoyed these. They are based on the premise that the ancient Greek gods like Zeus, Hades, etc. all still exist and sometimes have children with mortals, but we just don't know about it. Unless you happen to be one of the kids... I can't wait to read the next book in this series which is coming out in about a week and a half. Yippee!

Finally, I also read Austenland by Shannon Hale. I have really enjoyed Shannon's books. I liked this one, but I don't think I'd read it again. It's an adult fiction book, I guess because the character are all grown up. I'm too much of a sucker for juvenile fiction I think. It's my effort to stay young forever. I would give it four stars.

1 comment:

Bre said...

Yay I've missed your blogs. I will have to read the series about the old greek gods it sounds like something i would like. I have a suggestion for you if you haven't read it. Princess Nevermore, it will be in the youth section