Saturday, May 30, 2009

Calorie Countdown

I have always tried to eat healthy, but since I started being a regular exerciser last year and I'm not pregnant and starving 24/7, I figured I needed to reevaluate my diet. I was seeing some weight loss with my exercising, but in recent months I hit a plateau and figured it was probably cause I was eating too much. Bummer . . . Bummer . . . . Bummer . . . . . Bummer.
I've never really tried to calorie count, because well, it's a pain in the bum. So hubby, sent me a link last week to My Fitness Pal, which is a FREE online calorie counter. As far as calorie counting goes it's actually kind of fun. WAIT! Did I say, "fun." I don't know if it's really fun, but it is somewhat enjoyable because it's just so darn easy. Another nice thing about it, is that almost all of the foods I usually eat are already in the database, so I just enter how much I ate of it and TA DA, it totals everything all up. It also takes into account how much exercise you do. So if I run on my elliptical for 40 minutes, I can eat 444 more calories that day, and still loose weight. It gives you a daily calorie goal which it automatically adjusts depending on your personal weight loss goal, BMI, BMR, and daily exercise. I kind of like it. It will also track fiber, cholesterol, protein, sodium, etc. It's been educational. It's nice to know that I have been eating a well rounded diet, but I just rarely limited myself, hence my roundness.
My hardest times are when I am surrounded by an abundance of scrumptious food, but so far I've been able to stay on track. The first week was easier than the second week. I had a headache for two days and for some reason when I don't feel well my ingrained response says, "Why don't you have something to eat and see if that helps." I was feeling pretty tortured those days, and my mood was ahh . . . a bit grouchy. BUT success! I survived and some days are much better. I think my stomach is starting to get used to me eating less because sometimes I get full faster. I can still eat whatever I want, I just have to limit my portion size or balance it with exercise or lower calorie meals during the day. I understand why people hate calorie counting, but I'm hoping the results are worth it. If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it, right? I still believe the hardest things to do in life are often the greatest. I think I might reward myself with some more incredible lemon cake very soon. :)

"It is not the man who has little, but the man who craves more who is poor."

I've always loved that quote. I used to apply it to debt, finances, and just to help me find contentment in my own place, but I have learned that it can also apply to food. Sometimes I can eat my lovely serving and I don't even feel deprived, until some craving kicks in or I'm feeling tired or sporting a headache or watching someone else eat mouthful after mouthful. I'm in this to WIN and my only competition is myself.

3 comments:

KoryLCorey said...

That is great that you are trying different things to achieve your goals. I have actually learned that when you don't eat enough of the right foods you actually stop losing weight as well. I know it sounds counter productive but it is the truth. If you eat more of the natural non processed food and good fat you can actually eat more calories and still lose body fat. I have been able to lose a lot faster after hailey eating about 1800 calories a day with mostly protein and fewer carbs. But I also think that everyone loses weight differently. But if you find you are tired of the calorie counting I have a great diet plan if you want to give it a try. Just let me know.

Rachel said...

Good for you! I'm glad you found a great way to count calories. I've never been able to count calories personally...I just don't think I have the strength. But sounds like you've got it easy! Oh, and I love the food poetry thing, too.

Linda said...

Yeah for you working so hard at this! Eric and I are trying to figure out some kind of exercise plan together. I think the toughest part will just be getting up early enough to do it before he goes to work. You could check our weight lifting as a means to losing weight. When Joy and I did "body for life" for 7 weeks I was never great about doing cardio work outs since we didn't switch off babysitting those days. It isn't fun to be sore, but weight lifting sure burns fat! Small hand weights are a great place to start (and in my case finish too).