Monday, August 17, 2009

My Key to Sanity

I have thought a lot about why at some points in my life I was better able to cope with life challenges than at other times. My life has been filled with different stresses and hard things, and at each point the challenges that I had at that moment were hard for me to bear. I have seen how God has allowed me experiences to try my faith and to stretch me to my breaking point so that I could learn things I would not have otherwise been willing or able to learn; and so that I could more fully realize and feel my utter dependence upon Him. Recently in my own study I came across this verse in the the Old Testament. It's Proverbs 16:3 "Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established." When I read those words, I almost laughed out loud as I realized that that was my Key to Sanity! For me, if I want to be able to ride the tides of life and not succumb to the pitfalls of misery and depression, I must commit myself to the Lord. When I am committed to God's way, when I study His words every day and pray without ceasing, and seek His will in all my activities MY THOUGHTS ARE ESTABLISHED, and I find that I don't worry as much about things because I'm trusting God, and I don't fear about all my failings or daily challenges because I am exercising my faith that He is helping me and knows I'm giving my all. A long time ago I remember telling a friend, "I can't not read my scriptures everyday. I can't not pray." At that time I felt the surety of my own words, and I am grateful to God to be able to say that I feel that surety still. He has never left me comfortless, and has given me every blessing that I have ever needed.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Wonderful post!

Aimee said...

You are so right! Thank you for your thoughts and testimony. You are very uplifting!