Monday, September 7, 2009

Nothing to Say...

A long time ago I wrote down a quote that goes like this: "Blessed is the man who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." (George Eliot)

I've always remember that quote and have tried to implement it into my life skills. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes, I am as another quote I have in my treasure chest of thoughts: "Beware of the tongue, it is in a wet place and may slip." I find that sometimes even when we feel like we have nothing to say, there are times when we still want to say something. Even when all our somethings might seem like nothings.

I've been digging in the dirt a lot lately. On days my garden gloves are to crusted with mud to wear or in the wash, my nails look less than glamorous. I've been moving little strawberry plants that grow like crazy. I've been planting decorative grasses, pruning trees and blackberry bushes, and moving little bushes so they have more room to grow. And I've been digging up weeds, lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of weeds. One of my top landscaping plans is weed control. I love plants that can mostly take care of themselves once they get established. It's just while they are young that you have to keep the weeds from encroaching so that, given time they can grow and spread and flourish. Weeds are constantly spontaneously reproducing themselves, and I wonder over their determination. But my chosen plants are all good at weed control once they mature. I've stared at grasses and plants so much that when I come in from outside and close my eyes I can still see them.

Oh, how I hope for my children. I hope that they all grow strong enough to prosper and flourish and fight off those determined weeds that might come their way. One more quote comes to mind. . .

"Everything happening great and small is a parable whereby God speaks to us, the art of life, is to get the message." (Malcolm Muggeridge)

1 comment:

Persimmon said...

Nothing (but great things) to say...

See, this kind of stuff is among the many reasons why I love you. :)