Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wordfull Wednesday: Names

My name is Lora. I've never really thought it was very special (Sorry, Mom). My parents just liked the name, and so I got it. It's not that I don't like my name, but it's always just been my name. Lora means something like "laurel wreath." When I was young and fascinated by the meanings of words and names, learning that my name meant a wreath made of laurel, was not very exciting or mysterious. I like mysterious. I like depth. I just did a google and found a meaning I've never seen before under Anglo-Saxon as, "Small sage one." I found it here.
So, that's me, the small, sage, laurel wreath.

To read more Wordfull Wednesday posts by other bloggers out there click here.

4 comments:

kjha said...

Hmmm...a laurel wreath provides beauty for others? Or maybe a sage one provides wisdom? I think your name is one of the most feminine.

Chocolate on my Cranium said...

One of my daughters is Laura so obviously I liked the name a lot! She was actually the easiest to name. As soon as we found out we were having a girl the named popped into both of our heads. We just knew she would be Laura.

Sally said...

I absolutely hated my name growing up. The only thing I liked was that it means princess. Now that I'm older I actually like having a name that isn't so common.

Alia said...

Hi! My middle Christian name is Lorena. It is Spanish I guess? It's close to Lora!! I love it. However, I only heard it when I was a bad girl, then I got the full name: Diana Lorena Rodriguez Segura Rodriguez!!! Later in my teens, my mom started chasing me (I was on the track team!) and then poor tiny thing, 4'8" to my 5'3.75" would bring a broom along! It is so funny, then and now!!